How did I choose to celebrate? I baked! After all, today is also Day 10 for my Friendship Bread Starter. The question was "What am I going to bake?" I knew that I wanted to make some yummy treats to give as little "thank you" gifts to a few of my instructors tomorrow. They've already experienced the traditional bread version. So, I ruled that out right away. After some deliberating, I chose to try my hand at Friendship Biscotti.
Let the baking adventure begin...
Chocolate Dipped Cranberry Nut Friendship Biscotti
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In medium bowl, cream together starter, sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla extract and egg.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Fold in nuts and cranberries
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece out into a log about 10 inches long. Place them on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten until they are about 3 inches wide.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm. Cool on baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice logs crosswise into 1/2 inch wide slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet.
- Return to oven for additional 15 minutes, until crisp and light brown. Cool til ready to dip.
- While cooling, melt chocolate chips and heavy cream over double boiler until smooth.
- Dip one end into the chocolate or spread on thin layer with knife and allow to dry.
- Store in air tight container